Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pie Secrets Revealed

Today is a big day, peoples! I finally conquered pie crust! My lovely husband and I made pie last night. I love to bake and usually have good results--the glaring exception is pie crust. Surprised?

Think about it, people. Have I ever brought a pie in to work to share? Have I ever made you a pie for your birthday? The answer is no. I just can't seem to get it right--too tough, chewy, not flaky, soggy the list goes on and on.

Well, we tasted the pies today, and crust is really good. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are. You want to know the secret? Prebaking the pie crust in two stages: first, prebake it most of the way and second, brush some egg whites over it to cover up all the fork prong makes and return it to the oven for 2 minutes.

Voila! Perfect results every time! Just let me know when you folks want a pie or the whole recipe. I also figured out the fast way to weave a lattice top crust. Hip Hip Hooray!!

No comments: